Are you in:
biotech, software development, device, game and video console and content, book publishing industry (writer side), property and casualty insurance, life insurance, real estate broker and real estate development, automotive, content development, cloud computing, fashion, manufacturing, food and/or food additives?
Some examples of the past and present clients/matters are:
1) Copyright/ Trademark infringement Litigation
a. Online and Web hosting
• Third World v. XHOT99, Inc. US DC CD. Defend web-host in contributory copyright infringement, RICO, trademark infringement claims. Affirmative defenses include DMCA and CDA.
• Jupitermedia (Fulbright Jaworski) v. Jupiter Hosting – US DC Northern District California. Defended web hosting company from injunctive relief trademark infringement and cybersquatting allegations. Successfully opposed motion for preliminary injunction. Published opinion. (Judge Claudia Wilken). Concurrently advised Jupiter Hosting on all of its commercial transactions and subsequently provided assistance regarding its sale to Navisite in 2007.
• DICK DACK LLC. Advise adult porn producer re DMCA and 2257 custodian of record issues. Review of COPPA and general business advisor.
• Rivera v. Does, US DC SDNY. Obtained TRO, seizure by US Marshall and preliminary injunction on behalf of filmmaker of “ENRIQUILLO” (Story of discovery of Dominican Republic) against cameraman and investor who purloined film. (Judge Kimba Woods)
• Brush Media v. Boujaklian. (2002 WL 1906620 (N.D. Cal.) US DC ND. Adult DVD movie producer. Successfully prevented copyright infringement action through motion to dismiss for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. (Judge Eliza Laporte)
• Eslinger-Galligani adv. Domingo Gutierrez. Advise movie production company on acquisition of life story rights, drafting options and partnership agreement.
c. Video Game
• Sudoku Developer adv. Danger Technologies. Advised on-line sudoku game re licensing agreement with mobile phone developer and mobile phone platform.
• Doe v. Investor. Advised on-line game/personal map developer re licensing agreement risk and litigation strategy re venture investor.
• Eidos acquisition of Crystal Dynamics. Conducted IP audit on behalf of Eidos and negotiation of various commercial agreements related to acquisition of Crystal Dynamics by Eidos including domain names, game titles, content and software.
• Beeck v. Cinemaware, US DC NDCA. Represented video game development team re claims of copyright infringement, breach of licensing agreement and non-payment of royalties.
d. Computer Accessory
• Grixxxx Technology adv. Apple, Inc. Re-negotiation of Made for Ipod agreement and litigation strategy re anti-trust and breach of contract claims
• Disruptive Technology adv. Apple, Inc. Re-negotiation of Made for Ipod agreement and related commercial agreements.
• Acme Studio v. Acme Made. US DC Northern District. Defended computer laptop and accessory manufacture, owner of acmemade.com from allegations of trademark infringement and cyber squatting.
• Creative Station adv. Apple Seeds. US DC SDNY Advise “teach kids to dance” school re copyright litigation and commercial agreements related to licensee
• General Magic adv. Consolidated Freightways. Advised Apple, Inc. spin-off re commercial licensing of its hand-held device.
• AD USA v. Automan. US DC Pennsylvania. Obtained preliminary and permanent injunction on behalf of handheld computer manufacturer in automotive industry. Resulted in significant financial settlement on behalf of client.
g. Sculptural Works
• Ohtake adv. Sculpturesite Gallery. Defended allegations of breach of contract related to sale of kinetic sculpture.
• Rader v. Sutter. US DC ND. Prosecuted TRO and pursuit of preliminary injunction in copyright infringement claim on behalf of cemetery monument design company. Case proceeded through death threat allegations, expedited discovery and an appeal to the 9th Circuit for relief. (Judge Susan Ilston)
• PC Tools v. Contour/Elle Mae, Inc. AAA San Francisco. Successfully brought copyright infringement claim on behalf of mortgage industry software developer. Resulted in six-figure settlement in client’s favor.
• Workshare v. Litera Corp. US DC ND. Successfully defended document management software co against injunctive relief action for copyright infringement.
2) Patent and Trade Secret litigation
• Patentee v. L-3 Corp. US DC Georgia. Defended owner of multiple power utility sites from allegations of patent infringement over payment process method.
• Datapark v. GMG Systems, Inc. San Francisco District Court. Successfully prosecuted misappropriation of trade secrets related to parking garage computer equipment through three defense firms. Resulted in six-figure settlement for client.
II. Fraud litigation
• Sisters v. Brother in Family Partnership. Defended and advised brother/general partner in breach of fiduciary duty suit in LA Superior court alleging misuse of partnership funds, self-dealing.
• Shareholders v. NiftyNet, Inc. US DC ND. Successfully brought derivative action against former President of Delaware corp. on behalf of shareholder/director alleging fraud, corporate waste. Resulted in redemption of shares and a significant financial settlement for client (Judge Charles Breyer)
• Does v. Real Estate co, Inc., and President/director – San Francisco Superior Court. Defense of the President of commercial leasing agency in five separate actions alleging fraud and negligent supervision allegations by investors in multi-unit properties.
• Insurance brokerage v. Former partner– San Francisco Superior Court. Pursued computer fraud and abuse and trade secret misappropriation against former partner of general insurance broker. Resulted in financial settlement.
3) Online Torts
• CPA v. Yelp and anonymous poster. Advised CPA firm re: pursuit of claim against anonymous user on Yelp re: negative services. Consideration of privileges and “opinion” defense. Obtained a retraction by user to be less offensive.
• Jane Doe v. Armando Aguilar, LA Sup. Ct. Prosecute case alleging false light, invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional distress re: release and publication of sex tape and online harassment.
III. Anti-trust litigation
• Weinberg v. Ingenix. US DC, Connecticut. Participating plaintiffs’ counsel in class action claim of price fixing and unfair trade practices against Cigna, Wellpoint and Aetna.
IV. Outside General Counsel
• Galligani-Eslinger Productions. Outside general counsel to reality television and motion picture production company.